Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kitchen Step Stool

Our kitchen has a ridiculous number of cabinets, but many of them are all the the ceiling. The only way for someone of my stature to use these cabinets is with a step stool. The stool I had been using just moved out with the last housemate, so I needed to fashion up a new one.

I started by making two side pieces with a square of plywood and two vertical supports for each step.
Then I cut the actual steps from the same synthetic 2x6 stuff.
Once I had attached the actual steps in between the two side pieces, I wanted to put on some type of footies to protect the floor and provide some grip. I cut some short sections out of an old bicycle tire to fashion on for this purpose.
So I flipped over the stool and stapled these guys on.

To make sure that the stool was nice and rigid, I slapped on a diagional piece accross the back of the stool, and put another little board at the bottom to keep it stiff. I finished it off by sanding down all the edges and rough bits so that it won't give splinters. Because of those synthetic boards, the stool turned out to be very heavy, but because of the little footies, it can slide on the kitchen floor without damaging it so I don't mind having such a burly stool.

No comments:

Post a Comment