Friday, July 10, 2009

Tool Roll

Encouraged by my success on the apron, I embarked upon another sewing project that I've wanted to do for a long time: a tool roll for the bike tools I carry with me every day.

I started with a big flat sheet of mid-weight nylon. This was nice because it would be a fairly durable material, but also because I didn't have to worry about how to finish the edges. I could just singe them with a candle and they would stay together.

Next, I cut out rectangles of fabric a little larger than the tool they would become the pocket for. I folded and sewed the top edge to finish it and then sewed the pocket onto the backing.

Here's the finished product with each tool on it's respective pocket. The pockets are open on top because I have a flap that folds over before I roll it up which keeps everything inside. One thing I found I needed to do to get the flap to stay down was to sew the corners of fold down.

For my spare tube (and a short section of tire to make a patch in case I skid through a tire) I put a little strap with a ladder lock buckle because. As a closure mechanism I found a Velcro wrap that is hook on one side and loop on the other. It's of a very fancy low profile design that doesn't snag or get burred but still sticks very well.

The final touch on the Velcro strap was to sew a little tab of the nylon material to make it easier to peel up.

3 comments:

  1. eat your heart out Pedros and Jandd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I'm pretty happy with this one. I used the heaviest nylon they had at the fabric store - which wasn't very heavy. So it flops a little more than I'd like. Now that I have a more powerful sewing machine, I will probably make a V.2 with some burly Cordura or heavy cotton duck. But I will say that making all of those pockets was good practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a good place to find cheap decent fabric is the bag and luggage section of thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete