Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Coat Rack

I found this over-door coat rack in a dumpster in college. And for many years it has served me well. My two gripes with it are that it makes a loud clanging noise when the door closes, and that the door doesn't close as easily with this in place. I decided it was time to move on to something that didn't have these problems.
I started with a 5' plank liberated from an old futon frame we still have part of in the garage [this frame has been giving for a long time - see bike rack post].
I planned to use large #10 nails for the hooks, so I wanted to slightly pre-drill the holes to help them go in at the desired angles and to avoid splitting the plank.
After pre-drilling the holes, it was pretty easy to drive the nails in at these goofy angles.


I finished by screwing my new coat rack to the back of my dresser.

I found that the back of my coat rack also made a convenient place to tack the end of the FM antenna from my radio [which resides atop my dresser].
And there it is in action.

2 comments:

  1. i can get behind all of this post, except for the FM antenna. AM is where it's at, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya... and my radio doesn't even play vinyl :P

    ReplyDelete