Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shabbat Candle Sticks

About 4 years ago, my Aunt and Uncle gave me a nice travel set of artsy Shabbat candle sticks. For all of their aesthetic value, they seem structurally deficient. One of the welds that held the little retaining walls down came apart and now wax leaks out over the table and makes a big mess, so I needed to upgrade.

I got two 1/2" hex nuts and a small 1" x 2" steel shim. I filed down the corners of the shim so there wouldn't be any sharp edges. Then I attached the nuts with a little J-B Weld.
**It's important to note that not any old adhesive will work in this type of application. I've tried to use superglue for things like this but it just comes apart at high temperatures. J-B Weld is rated to 600 °F and was therefore the obvious choice for creating a metal bond that would withstand high temperatures.

There it is with candles in place. I sized the hex nuts so that the candles would just thread into them. They go in pretty easily and do a nice job staying put. It's also a very compact and rugged solution making them ideal for travel (the original intent of the set I first had).


No comments:

Post a Comment