Monday, March 16, 2009

Mailbox

I got home and found my mailbox teetering on top of the post had been firmly mounted to when I had left in the morning. It turns out that the man who perpetrated this act of mailbox decapitation had left a note with his contact information, apologizing and offering to pay for the damages. I told him not to worry about it and that I would take care of the repair.

There's the headless stump that had once borne my mailbox.
The bottom of the mailbox has a lip that extends down about 1" around its perimeter. A small sheet of wood that nests into the space created by this lip had been mounted to the top of the post. The lip of the mailbox then fits snugly around this piece of wood and can be attached by driving screws into this sheet of wood through holes in the lip. Here is pictured the fraction of this sheet of wood that remained attached to the mailbox.
I had to cut a length of board that would fit just inside the lip of the mailbox.
Then I mounted the little section of board to the top of the post with 4 lag screws.
The board I chose was a scrap of synthetic 2" x 6" I had lying about. I think it's just made from recycled bottles and things like that. It's great to work with because it doesn't splinter, it's weatherproof (highly relevant to this project) and it's soft to cut and drill through. You can see that even if it looks like wood, it still drills like plastic.
Finally, I set the mailbox on the block I had mounted to the post and attached it with a few 1 1/4" drywall screws.

No comments:

Post a Comment