Sunday, March 8, 2009

Twine Dispenser

I decided it would be great if I had a little twine dispenser on my work bench so I could quickly get a segment for all of the many little things it might get used for.

I got a 1/2" x 6" hex bolt to serve as the spindle


I used my 1/2" paddle bit to bore a hole in one of the wall studs in front of my work bench. [When I started the upper hole, I was unpleasantly surprised by a nail so I had to try again]

I poked the bolt through and added a washer to go between the twine spool and the stud.
Next I added the twine and another washer
Because I wasn't going to tighten the bolt down very hard, I applied some thread locker so that it would stay put once I had it to the right position. The idea is that it should be tight enough so the dispenser doesn't wobble, but shouldn't create friction to make it difficult to pull twine out.

The nut is only finger tight

I used a little angle joist hanger as the guide for the dispenser

Here's the finished product in place. I might mount a little razor blade on that corner so I don't have to pull out a knife to cut it each time I want some. My original idea was essentially a big dental floss dispenser anyways.

2 comments:

  1. so, if/when you run out of twine, you'll have to disassemble the pegboard to get to the head of the bolt, then?

    it's a mighty skein of twine, so perhaps this won't be an issue for so long that it doesn't really matter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remove it the same way I put it in. The hole is close enough to the top of the pegboard that I can just reach down from the top with a wrench to un-do the spindle.

    ReplyDelete