Monday, March 2, 2009

Color Coding Tools

I had the same problem that faces many folks using tools, especially in a bike shop: the 14mm and the 15mm box wrench look the same from a quick glance.

The simple solution is one made famous by Sheldon Brown. A 5-color system gives wrenches a color based on their size in mm. Because only 5 colors are used to label more than 5 sizes of wrench, the mod 5 value of the wrench size is used.
0 = red
1 = white
2 = yellow
3 = green
4 = blue
For example, 13 mod 5 = 3 so the 13 mm wrench is green in my system. For more detail on the mod operator, see this link.
I also color-coded the hooks to make it even easier to get my wrenches back to their appropriate hooks, especially when I have more than one down at a time.
Ahhh... much better. This is particularly helpful for double ended wrenches (of which I own none).

It looks great and really does streamline things when you're working. More than 5 colors is unnecessary because it's easy enough to tell a 10mm wrench from a 15mm even if they're not next to each other. I think I'm going to get about labeling my allen keys next.

1 comment: