Wednesday, March 18, 2009

iPod Case

When I first got my iPod about 4 years ago, I almost never used it because I was afraid of damaging it. It wasn't until I found a sturdy case for it that I felt comfortable taking it out and using it. I found this burly thing from OtterBox that is completely submersible and will protect my iPod from a good drop or what have you. Now I have it on every time I leave the house, so it gets a lot of use. It's important for it to be waterproof because I hook it on my belt sticking out exposed to rain and snow.


This post is about a repair job I did a little while ago so I don't have any pictures in progress. Here is the back of the case and the removable belt clip that cracked.

In red, I outlined where the crack occurred, although you can see the repair on the other side.

My first attempts at repair were with super glue. I just glued the seam and clamped it. Those repairs were brittle and didn't hold up very long. I realized that I would need a more resilient solution. Goop is a strong glue that cures firm but still slightly pliable, so my next attempts were just with some Goop. The Goop repair held a little longer, but ultimately came apart too. Finally I decided that I would need to reinforce the crack with another material in addition to gluing the two pieces together. I bent a small section of coat hanger to exactly contour the outside curve of the top of the clip near the crack. Then I glued it on with Goop. That repair has been doing very nicely for about 3 months now, so I will consider it a success.


P.S. I tagged this post 'bikes' because the iPod has become an essential part of my riding experience. More to come on that subject and how Colorado state law views it.

No comments:

Post a Comment