Monday, February 16, 2009

Bowl Repair I

I got a big crack in this plastic bowl that has spread to a point where I can no longer ignore it.


The first step in preparing to glue the crack is to clamp it so that it comes out flush. In addition to just having a smooth product, it will be a stronger repair if the two sides are well aligned.

The next step in preparation for a glue job is to clean off the surfaces to be glued. In this case, GooGone is the solvent of choice.

For this job I've chosen a fancy high-viscosity gel-type super glue so that it won't run all over the bowl and the clamp. My hope is to create a more low-profile repair for the bowl.

After the first half dried, I clamped, cleaned and glued the rest of the crack. I added a little section of coat hanger as a splint to reinforce the repair up at the edge where it will receive the most abuse.
NOTE: I labeled this post 'Bowl Repair 1' to remind me that I still have another bowl waiting to be repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment