Monday, February 9, 2009

Helmet Lights

In biking around Boulder at night, I'm almost never have trouble seeing the road so my only lighting concern is being seen by others. For a long time I've been using a single white Knog Frog on the front and a red blinky light on my bag for the rear. Recently, I've found that arrangement lacking in a few key areas so I decided to supplement it for a few reasons.

1. I had a few close calls where motorists made left turns across me presumably because they didn't see me. By mounting lights to my helmet, they will be higher and hopefully more visible to motorists.
2. Also related to visibility, by mounting the lights to my helmet, they turn wherever I look instead of where my bike is pointed. This will greatly increase my side visibility in situations where a car is waiting in a driveway to pull out in front of me. I can give them a quick look and alert them to my presence.
3. Because I always wear the same helmet regardless of what bike I'm on, I never have to worry about moving lights from bike to bike when I use different bikes.
4. When I have cargo on my front rack, it usually blocks the light so I have to get creative and mount it to my grocery basket or something.

So for all these reasons, I decided to get a new pair of little blinky lights that I could easily mount to my helmet.

Red - rear

For the front [white] light, I tied a little knot in the tail to make it shorter so that it will still be tight when I mount it.

In action. I angled the red one just a little to direct it at motorists coming up on my left rear.


Ride Safely!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to give that one a try. My solution was to velcro on a little flasher but it sticks out more than your arrangement and tends to get knocked off.

    ReplyDelete