Saturday, February 28, 2009

Magnetic Knife Rack

This is not a new trick and not the first time I've used it in my kitchen, but I thought I'd share this slightly novel execution. For the same reasons I like to have my frying pans and cutting board easily accessible in the kitchen, I like my knives to be at my immediate disposal. To that end, I typically mount a magnet somewhere prominent and just stick the knife to it. In this kitchen, I have a stainless steel hood over the range that was the perfect location for the knives.

I stuck little bar magnets on the underside of the hood [one for each knife]


Here's the back view with knives in place


And there's what it looks like from the outside. In my last kitchen, I didn't have the luxury of mounting the magnet UNDER a surface, but it still worked just fine to stick it to the outside of the microwave and put the knife directly on it. I think that I probably covered the magnet over with ducttape to make sure it didn't come off with the knife and also to protect the magnet from rusting [both problems inherently avoided by this setup].

No comments:

Post a Comment